It’s that time of year again when I ask my friends and family for support in my fundraising efforts for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Canada‘s annual Light the Night Fundraiser. I’ve been doing this annual 5KM walk for six years. I started my team, Baby Bean and Friends, after my best friend’s baby Julia passed away at just seven months old from complications of Leukemia. Julia would have turned eleven this year. Then, in 2016 my friend’s family was dealt with another blow when her then six year old niece Rachael was also diagnosed with Leukemia. Rachael is still fighting her battle and is doing well. I also walk for one of my cousin’s who was five years old when she was diagnosed. She is now in her twenties! Thanks to advances in research, patients and their families are better informed and better equipped to fight these horrible diseases!
It’s donations from friends and family that help us out the most! Not only do funds raised in the Prairies, but they also go towards patient and caregiver services, research, and funding to help us eradicate blood cancers.
FACTS ON BLOOD CANCERS:
- 138,000 people affected by blood cancers in Canada.
- Every 72 minutes, someone with a blood cancer will die.
- An estimated 138,100 people in Canada are living with, or are in remission from, the following forms of blood cancer:
- 43,335 with Lymphoma
- 22,510 with Leukemia
- 7,455 with Myeloma
- Up to 40,000 with Myelodysplastic syndromes
- 14,300 with Polycythemia vera
- 8,700 with essential Thrombocythermia
- 1,800 with Myelofibrosis
- For most types of blood cancer, the proportion of people who live five or more years after diagnosis has increased significantly over the past decade. The 5 year survival rates range from 42% for Myeloma to 85% for Hodgkin Lymphoma.
HOW DOES YOUR DONATION HELP/WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
Proceeds from Light The Night Walk help advance our mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s lymphoma and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. This mission is carried out through funding extensive research for treatments, cures, patient support programs, community outreach and education programs.
• Fund breakthrough therapies for blood cancer patients.
• Provides Free educational materials, support programs and events for patients and families.
• Provides local programs such as Family Support Groups and First Connection, a peer-to-peer counselling program.
• Comprehensive, personalized assistance through our Information Resource Centre.
• Educational information sessions for healthcare professionals and non-patient groups.
This event is so very close to my heart. I even spent a summer working for the Leukemia and Lymphoma’s Edmonton office. The passion, dedication, and hard work by staff and volunteers alike was inspiring. The patient stories, their victories, their hardships, their losses– kept me and still keep me motivated to make a difference. I hope that you can all help me in this mission! If you’d like to join my team, or donate (any amount helps!), please click the link! My team mates and I will be forever grateful! If you have any questions, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Teresa and Team Baby Bean and Friends!